Ask your child about what it means to be a good Conversationalist
- Does being a good conversationalist mean that you are only a good talker?
- No, it means you are not only a good talker, but you are a good listener.
- Does a good conversationalist argue their point?
- No. Try to listen to their point of view in a respectful way.
- What are justifiers?
- Filler words, such as “umm” and “like.”
- What are some “small talk” topics?
- The weather.
- Your day.
- Where you are going on vacation.
Ask your child about being a Good Listener
- When someone is talking, if we think we have something really important to say, is it okay to interrupt them?
- How do we know the person is done talking, so we do not interrupt them?
- Count to five before you speak.
- What if we do not care what the person is saying?
- Listen anyway.
- What is a non-verbal way to show we are listening to someone.
- Nod your head every once in a while.