This week’s Mrs. McVeigh’s Manners themes are Titles and Acknowledging People
Ask your child about People’s Titles
- What do you call a married or divorced woman?
- Ms. or Mrs. McVeigh
- What do you call a man or woman who is a physician?
- Dr. McVeigh
- What do you call a married or unmarried adult male?
- Mr. McVeigh
- What do you call someone who is a judge?
- Judge McVeigh
Ask your child about Acknowledging Adults and Peers
- Shake hands to greet people and say hello.
- Remind your child to use these skills before you walk into any social situation, where they will have the opportunity to shake hands with people.
- Role-play meeting or greeting people with your child, before they walk into a possible situation where they need to do this.
- Remind your child to always acknowledge adults who they know. They should walk up to the adult, offer to shake hands, and say hello.
- Look for opportunities to reinforce this behavior, such as telling your child to thank a coach after a practice or game, and shake his/her hand.