This week’s manners themes are table manners and invitations.
Ask your child about having good table manners, and the following questions.
• Who is the hostess?
o The hostess is the female of the house.
• Where does the hostess sit?
o She sits at the head of one end of the dining table.
• Who is the host, and where does he sit?
o The host is the male of the house, and he sits at the other end of the table.
• What is the first thing you do when you sit down?
o Put your napkin on your lap.
• When can you start eating?
o When everyone is seated, is served his food, and the hostess has taken her first bite.
Ask your child the following questions about inviting people over, and dealing with party invitations:
• Where it is appropriate to ask you if they can invite friends over to your house?
o In private, because if you say no, you have your reasons, and do not want to have to explain it in front of them.
• When is a good time to ask friends to come over?
o In advance, so the parents can discuss and confirm the arrangements.
• Is it a good idea to discuss going to someone’s party?
o No, because you never know who is, and who is not, invited.