The Mrs. McVeigh’s Manners Themes of the Week are Bullies, Calling 911, and Respecting People’s Differences.
Ask your child the following questions about How to Stop a Bully:
- If someone is being mean to you, should you act or look scared?
- NO! Look confident.
- If someone is bullying you, should be stay close to an adult, or move away from adults.
- Stay close to adults. Bullies do not like getting in trouble.
- If you cannot get rid of a bully, what should you do?
- Get your friends to stick close to you.
- Tell your parents and ask for their help.
Ask your child to role-play with you what he would say when Calling 911.
Ask your child the reasons that you would call 911:
- There is a fire.
- A tricky person is telling you to help him find his lost pet, when you are playing.
- A tricky person tries to get you to go into his car for any reason.
- A person stops breathing.
- A person is unconscious.
- A person will not wake up.
- A person bangs on your door and says he is the police, when you did not call a police officer.
What are three things to remember about Respecting People who are Different than you?
- Never stare at anyone who is different than you.
- Never make fun of someone’s differences.
- Give everyone a chance to be your friend.