This week Mrs. McVeigh’s Manners themes are Inviting People and Good Guest and Host. Here are some questions to ask your child about these topics.
Ask your child the following questions about Inviting people over, and dealing with Party Invitations:
- Where it is appropriate to ask you if they can invite friends over to your house?
- In private, because if you say no, you have your reasons, and do not want to have to explain it in front of them.
- When is a good time to ask friends to come over?
- In advance, so the parents can discuss and confirm the arrangements.
- Is it a good idea to discuss going to someone’s party?
- No, because you never know who is, and who is not, invited.
Ask your child the following questions about being a Good Guest, and a Good Host:
- What are the three things that we should remember when we have a guest come over?
- Invite the person to come in.
- Ask the person to have a seat, or lead them to where you would like to entertain them.
- Ask the person if he would like something to drink.
- What are some things that we should remember when we are a guest at someone’s house?
- Knock or ring the doorbell once, and be patient while your host gets to the door.
- Wait to be invited inside. Never barge in.
- Do not walk around the house on your own. Wait until your host tells you where to go.
- When it is time to leave, clean up, and thank your hosts.